Hydroformed 347 Stainless Steel Plenum Housing for the Aerospace Industry
Our ability to create geometrically complex parts that meet the stringent requirements of the aerospace industry won us the contract for producing the plenum housing shown here. Using a hydroforming process enabled us to create the complicated configuration and abstract geometries with precise detail. We laser trimmed the formed tubes to size, machined the flanges, and built a special fixture to orient the components, which allowed for the creation of distortion-free welds according to the ASW D17.1 standard. Fabricated from 347 stainless steel to withstand prolonged heat and resist corrosion, the finished housing featured dimensions of 12" in length x 8" in width x 8" in height. Visual and CMM inspection confirmed that we satisfied the ±.004 tolerance requirement, and penetrant testing validated the integrity of the welds.
This plenum housing met the customer's high expectations for both performance and quality, and we currently manufacture 30 units/year. At Precise Metal Products we specialize in high precision products such as this. To learn more about this project, or the processes used to manufacture it, see the table below or contact us directly.
Plenum Housing Project Highlights
- Product Name
- Plenum Housing
- Product Description
- Hydroformed 347 Stainless Steel Plenum Housing
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Laser Trimmed
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Hydroform, Laser, Lathe, and Mill
- Hydroform and Laser
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Approx. 12" x 8" x 8"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- CRES 347
- Material Finish
- √125 Max
- Additional Facts
- Multiple hydroform details and formed tubes laser trimmed to size, and machine flanges all welded per AWS D17.1 utilizing weld fixtures to minimize distortion, Interfaces to be final machine after weld.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Visual, CMM, and Penetrant
- Industry for Use
- 30 Units/Year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 150 Days
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- AWS D17.1